Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Dock-sitting

Me. Alone on a dock. 


I’m sitting here at midnight, the last night of July, alone, on the dock, writing on my laptop for the first time ever. The laptop seems so obtrusive because it’s the only light in the moonless night. But I came here to write. It’s not comfortable…I can’t type properly and the light blinds my vision from the beauty of the night. But when I close the lid, oh my god, it is beautiful. The silence. The sounds. Splashes and splooshes keep coming from the lake…fish? Turtles? I can barely differentiate the fireflies hovering above the water from the reflected stars in the water. 


My love for cottage/nature/dock-sitting came from my youth when I was often invited up to friends’ cottages. Two years ago my in-laws bought a cottage which means I get to relive my youth and my boys get to grow up knowing nothing but cottage-life. They will always have this place. I’m the luckiest person alive. I can’t be more grateful towards my in-laws. A pristine lake, a lot backing onto crown land, winterized…it’s where we come as a family to swim and play, to toboggan and skate. 


My boys are learning to fish from their dad who in turn has been able to rekindle his love for fishing. With their cousins they’re learning to catch frogs and to stalk the turtle who keeps visiting our dock. They’re catching butterflies and hunting bugs. They’re learning to swim, and building CN Towers out of sand. They run so fast into the shallow beach water, they actually think they can run on top of the water. They love the cottage. So do I.

originally posted: 9:49 AM - 2010-AUG-1

No comments:

Post a Comment