Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I am also in love with Beyonce

Yes, it’s true. It’s not my fault though. Bootylicious made me love her. Seriously.

When she was with Destiny’s Child and came out with Survivior, I could not stop making fun of her crazy, trippin’-over-themselves lyrics (“I’m a survivor, I’m not gon’ give up, I’m not gon’ stop, I’m gon’ work harder”). She didn’t even use full words, for chrisakes.

Bootylicious was then put into heavy rotation on the radio station that my cubicle mate used to punish me with by playing eight hours a day. So to get my point across, I printed out the lyrics and began mockingly singing them aloud every time the song played (at least five times a day). To this day, I still have no idea what this jelly is (that I don’ think you’re ready for), but I know it is fiiine and it is miiiine.

And that’s when it happened…the empowerment. The independence. The control I could suddenly assert over my own bad self. I fell into the lyrical genius of Beyonce. One only has to hear her sing any part of Independent Woman Part I to get this point:

I worked hard and sacrificed to get what I get 
Ladies, it ain't easy bein independent 
Question: How'd you like this knowledge that I brought 
Braggin on that cash that he gave you is to front 
If you're gonna brag make sure it's your money you flaunt 
Depend on no one else to give you what you want 
 
What a message that girl is declaring. And as a side note, do you know how much fun it is to sing the woman’s songs? It’s kind of like how Alanis used to mangle the inflections of all of her super-white-angry-girl words (suppose-ED FOR-mer in-FAT-U-ation junkieEE). My girl B tends to shorten all her words and sentences so she can fit double the amount of words into a song (a useful hint is to stop pronounc’n anyth’n with ing at the end and just end it with an ‘n’ sound. It offers a great punch for each line of the song and enters nicely into the next line).

And now, here I sit addicted to her every move again. She’s come out with “All the Single Ladies”, another girl-power song that sings of a cheating man getting upset that his ex is now doin’ her own l’il thing and if he liked her then he “shoulda putta ring on” her finger. Brilliant. It’s ridiculously catchy and if you have not seen the video, I urge you to look it up on youtube (even better, watch this guy amazingly follow along http://www.blackbottom.com/watch.php?v=QSonBANahFN . Once you get over his outfit, your jaw will drop at the talent).

Make fun of the girl all you want, but damn, that girl can move, damn that girl can sing and damn that girl can work it!

Go B.

Ssy
originally posted: 4:12 PM - 2008-NOV-27

No comments:

Post a Comment