Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I am in Love with Tina Fey

It's not just because she is the sexiest Sarah Palin impersonator out there. I’ve had a secret crush on Tina Fey ever since I saw her at Saturday Night Live's Weekend Update desk for the first time in 2000, and found myself intrigued by the scar she wore proudly on her face and by her choice of nerdy Lisa Loeb eye wear.

I loved that she was truly funny and the fact that she was head writer at SNL blew me away. I soon found out that she had written, produced (?) and starred in Mean Girls (starring Rachel McAdams), which was such a smart (and fun) movie that it even got me thinking about the writing game and wondering how she came up with all the bits that made that movie a success.

I was heartbroken when she left SNL, in 2006, but learned she would be coming back to TV in 30 Rock, a thirty minute comedy which Lorne Michaels had her develop in order to go head-to-head with Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (with that name, did it ever really stand a chance?).  Michael's and Fey's obvious throw-down worked, and worked well, considering the show, the writing and the actors have won countless awards for their brilliant portrayal of a totally dysfunctional crew of a live sketch/comedy show, based unapologetically on SNL itself.

I've enjoyed Ms. Fey's work so much that I even got new glasses this year - more bold and rimmed than I have ever attempted before - and called them my Tina Fey glasses. You could imagine my shock at work when I donned them, asking people what they thought of my Tina Fey glasses when not one, not two, but five people had no idea who Tina Fey was!!! I was aghast and had to point them in the direction of the internet and kindly asked that they get a life…and a sense of humour.

So my love for her aside, this year I found my political interest piquing. So much so, that I can't stop talking about the State of the Union to anyone who will listen...does it matter that I'm Canadian and that we had our own (dismal) election this year? Did I have any conversations about my own country's politics at all? Well, yes, but they all ended in the word 'hole' when describing the main party's candidates, but I digress.

I've admittedly never been as politically aware, as I am now, in all of my life. This American race is one of historical proportions.

During my last week of summer vacation in late August, I learned that republican presidential candidate, Governor John McCain, had finally appointed his running mate, the sexy Alaskan Governor, Sarah Palin. Oh. My. God. The stories that were dug up on this lady were unimaginable and to her credit, she never faltered. She just kept pluckin' along on her trailblazin' trail, tryin' to show that, us women have a place in high government too, ya know.

She made for such a fascinatingly brilliant character - one of top-notch comedic magnitude that few people could impersonate her credibly.

Enter Tina Fey.

Sure, it certainly helps that she is a spitting image of the gaffe-filled governor, but the brilliance of Fey's writing prowess makes her just the best role-model a girl like me could have. I should probably credit Amy Poehler as well for the jaw-dropping-in-awe performance that both of them gave on the season opener of this year's SNL in September (the one where Palin unabashedly likened herself to an exasperated Hilary Clinton).

I fell in love with her all over again, and like so many others, now I just anxiously await her next Palin performance. Last night's special SNL Thursday Edition, which teamed Fey's Palin with Will Ferrell's scathingly dim-witted George W., did not disappoint.

I will be sad when, on November fourth, Americans will (have to) choose Obama, and Palin will have to ski-doo back to her crazy old lipstick-wearin'-hockey-mom-of five-soon-to-be-grandmother-of-one-governin’ job in Alaska.

Thankfully, 30 Rock will be back for the new season so I can still get my Fey-fix.
originally posted: 2:21 PM - 2008-OCT-24

No comments:

Post a Comment