Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I am Blogger, Hear me Blog

    Welcome to Thirty-Something Sass…not to be confused with “thirty somethings ass” which is what I just read as I opened up this blog page for the first time. I really should re-think this title…

     As a quick introduction, this is my first real crack at writing and publishing on-line (or anywhere for that matter). I only wish to offer some musings of life in my world right now – the world of a married, full-time working mother, of two wicked cool boys, who is kind-of-sort-of-but-not-really going through a bit of a mid-mid life crisis. Strike that. It’s not a crisis, it’s a realization. Life, in a new place. The undefined place that resides achingly close to my fun-filled youth, yet is not within reach of the more comfortable experience- and wisdom-filled maturity of adulthood.

     Technically, I know I’m an adult but for some reason the meter, on which I measure age, still defines me as a kid. Probably because in my head, my parents and my bosses are ‘adults’. If they’re adults, how can I be one as well? For some reason I can’t grasp the fact that I am a grown adult. Thankfully I am closer than ever to understanding my age since becoming a mother, twice over, in the last three years and since I am inundated, at every turn, with youthful new hires to our company, whose seemingly sole purpose is to make me feel adult-like.
   
     Working in the financial sector of a big city can take it’s toll on a thirty-something woman who is on the cusp of loving herself, as is, but then gets so easily swayed by the new wrinkles she regularly finds around her eyes and the constant emergence of PYT’s (pretty young things) into the revolving door that is Office Life.  And hearing about their party-laden weekends, thoughtless make-out sessions with other PYT’s and their Sunday 16 hour sleep-ins, it’s enough to make you feel super-nostalgic and super out-of-it.

     But today was a breakthrough for my own ego. After recapping the events of my ridiculously relaxing but oh-so-boring-in-comparison cottage weekend with my man and my boys, the youngest of the PYT’s in my office said, “Oh, you have SUCH a great life!”.  How cool am I? Stick around to find out exactly how un-cool I am…

Ssy

Originally posted: 12:31 PM - 2008-JUL-28

No comments:

Post a Comment